Sunday 23 October 2016

47 - LOCAL SURGICAL STRIKE

Surgical stirkes were resorted to by the Indian army, to avenge the repeated seize fire violations and terrorist insursions by Pakistan into Indian territory.  That is a national issue, but at the local level, often one has to resort to such action in daily life, when faced with a chronic problem that has no other feasible solution.  Here is my take on a local 'surgical strike'.

It would seem that any person who is travelling by a taxi, is so comfortable and happy to be availing of this service.  But it is not such a 'happy' situation for the traveller at most times.

In Mumbai, the first problem is to be able to get into a taxi when one needs to.  And so I have to resort to a 'surgical strike' type of operation, to capture one.  First, I have to keep waving out, hoping that the cab is unoccupied and will stop.  Then the driver slows down and asks where I want to go, and if it does not suit him, he will just zoom off.  But if there is a red traffic signal nearby, then I can 'capture' the cab and forcefully make him take me to my destination.  Often I have to resort to more drastic means to catch a cab.  After patiently waving out to 5 or 6 cabs, in vain, I then just step out in front of one and request any passer-by to help me to enter the cab by blocking it, while I 'capture' the cab and settle in.  Of course, this is a bit difficult, since all passers-by are not too eager to help and until that happens, the traffic behind my 'captured' cab comes to a stand still, with a lot of cursing and honking, until the deed is accomplished.  But that is not the end to my woe.  The taxi driver then threatens to take me for a ride of my life that I will forever regret.  And then is the next step of my strategy.  I insist that he can do so and then answer to the cops who I shall dial on my mobile, and for extra effect, I take out my whistle, blow loudly and challenge the cabbie to take me safely or face dire consequences impromptu.  After two minutes, the cabbie opts to grumble aloud and carry on driving to my destination.  These cabbies grumble about their thankless job, about the sultry weather, or the incessant rains, or the countless potholes, and the corrupt policemen who fine them randomly, the new Ola cabs that have eroded their customer base etc etc.

My desperation to catch a cab is only when I am overloaded with my weekly marketing trip, or when I am desperate to reach my school on time.  Entering a cab, it is sometimes a torture to touch the handle, when one can observe red paan spit all over the exterior of the taxi door.  But it has to be handled carefully and I gingerly avoid touching more than necessary to get the door open.

In the mornings, when I am not tired and on my way to work, I settle into a cab and then follow a fixed action plan.  I turn the window handle clockwise to lower the window on my left, and turn the window handle anti clockwise, on the window on my right.  Until this process is completed, I try to hold my breath.  Once the fresh air has entered the cab, I breathe easily,  because 55 percent of our cabbies have TB or some sort of throat infection, or a persistant cough.  This statistic is only based on my personal experiences.  Some taxi drivers sleep in the back seat during the night and it is their 'bedroom',  which is a very depressing thought for me when I observe that the cab I enter has fabric seat covers.  At least plastic or rubber seat covers tend to be more hygienic and bug free, I suppose.

Then I make sure that the meter has been turned on, because there have been instances when the driver forgets to do so.  The next observation is the car dangler that occupies the centre spot of the wind screen.  If the driver is a Hindu, there is usually a plastic Hanuman in the reclining position, with  a curly wurly tail facing upwards.  Down on the centre of the dashboard,  a colourful ganpati figurine, with a beaded canopy, garlanded with fresh flowers, is displayed.  If the cab driver is Muslim, then a decorated CD, with urdu writings hangs happily, as a lucky taavees, dancing away with the taxi bouncing in and out of the numerous potholes.  Some taxis have a Saibaba statue installed on the dashboard, decorated with vermillion and turmeric, remnants of an early morning pooja.  A very popular centrepiece is also a plastic map of India, with two Indian flags across it.

On a few occasions, the cab driver bad mouths overtakers, or honks randomly,  but as a passenger it is prudent to stay quiet until the journey has ended and then express an opinion.  On one such trip, it was very difficult for me to compromise and be silent, while the driver kept popping his head out of his window and spitting at every opportunity, and at every signal stopover.  This is usually a stopover or slow down at eight key traffic crossroads, and I was very  uncomfortable.  When I was alighting, I gave the fare and also a Happy Dent pack of six to the driver and told him that chewing the happydent would help him to control his spitting which was not a very hygienic habit. 

I always keep an extra packet of Happy Dent with me and gift it to chronic spitters and tobacco chewing taxi drivers.  I wish Mr.Quadros, the taximens' union leader would address this problem.

And if my blog does get through to him, I have another suggestion too.  An unoccupied cab should display a green headlight or toplight, so that when we wave it down, we know that we are waving down an available cab.  Otherwise it is so difficult to surmise whether the approaching cab is free or not, especially in the night.

So, let there be Ola and Meru and TABcab services, but the easiest ones accessible to the common laymen, will always will be the Kaali Peeli cabs of Mumbai.

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment