Saturday 30 August 2014

5 - FACEBOOK

I was forced into learning to use a computer by my school.  All teachers, old ones, very old ones, young ones and the reluctant ones, had to complete a painfully obscure computer training at a certain training centre at Siddhi Vinayak, Dadar.  I recall that the journey to and fro was the most strenuous part of the month long venture. 

Before this, we already had a computer at home,  but my children banned me from using it.  The main reason was that I managed to hang it up every time,  or I would ask so many silly questions in order to complete my assignments that they would lose their patience with me.   And then, the cleaning of the dust off of the endless wires, which almost always left the computer unusable because something would be disconnected and then everything would be blank.  But that seems ages ago.  Now I am quite savvy in completing worksheets and test papers for the school on a computer.   I also use e-mail and I can brouse the internet and download videos with a little help.   Writing a blog is the latest challenge that I have taken.

The beginning was a disaster,  with different blogs that somehow got lost and could not be traced and then my daughter came to my rescue.   But now she says that Google will soon ban my blogs.  'Because mummy' she says, 
'you are not using correct punctuation.  And you are randomly leaving spaces between words.'  etc etc............When I retorted that Google would not bother with so many details,  she said that 'the bot' would detect all these mistakes.   'A bot',   really,   am I expected to believe that?   

Referring to facebook,  I am so so addicted to it.   I can converse with anyone anywhere on earth-wow!     The down side is that it has brought tears to my eyes and made me very vulnerable too.   THE MESSAGES are the most emotional quotient of anything that I have ever encountered.  My life now revolves around the message box of my facebook site.  I am able to get in touch with persons that I would never have spoken to, if not for fb.  So,  I type what I want to discuss and then the tick appears, as if by magic.  But when a tick fails to appear,  it is a mood-disaster.   I am unable to function normally until the tick appears and I know that my message has been read.    I read the return messages, and make decisions for so many important events.  The boy my daughter wants to marry contacted me via fb.  Now it is a rollercoaster of emotions,  will they or won't they marry.   The denials, the frustrations, the shared confessions and the impromptu jokes with little faces to send and receive called 'emotions'.

What a wonder is this technology.  Amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment