Sunday 17 June 2018

66 - IF I COULD, I WOULD . . .

There are a few things that I would like to achieve just by waving a magical wand.  Or even by using the help of the genie of Alladin's magic lamp.  Needless to say that I shall only mention the positive thoughts, because I do have negative wishes too, and would not hesitate to use the wand to get revenge too.

Here are a few things that I would change with a magic wand, in random order.

Walking along or travelling in Mumbai, I hate to see the air conditioners popping out of buildings, because they look ugly and they drip too.  So I would make them very tiny and yet effective, and not an eyesore anymore.

Footpaths with two wheelers on them is one of the biggest problems that pedestrians face in Mumbai.  I wish I could just wave my wand and make them disappear completely.

Visiting any public toilet is a real torture, as they are so unclean, or without basic water or a wash basin, and even the door does not latch or is broken.  I would wave my magical wand and turn the toilets into the most beautiful ones that I had seen in Paris, with perfume and music and clean tiles and mirrors and lots of soap and toilet paper.

Anyone who walks anywhere in Mumbai has to deal with illegally parked cars, on footpaths or on the road.  But the worst part of this is that the drivers are sleeping inside, with their feet popping out of the driver's window.  These tired souls would get a gentle pedicure with my magical wand.  At least then I would be assured of not having to witness dirty soles and soiled, uncut toe nails.

In Pune, there are many footpath stalls, with vendors selling scarves and purses and tee shirts and junk jewelry and footwear and artificial flowers and toys and foodstuffs like corn bhel, kulfi,etc.  All this commerce has a collateral of refuse, which is discarded along the footpath.  At one place, on M G Road in the camp area, the hawkers have stuffed the paper and plastic rubbish into the space between the tree trunk and an enclosed wire meshing around it.  the meshing is very closely hugging the tree trunk and upto two  metres high. which is now filled with the wrappings.  Mr. Adar Poonawala's cleaners would need to put their vacuum suction pipes to good use, but they have not, so I would use my magical wand to clear the garbage and make the vendors disappear too.

At any traffic, sometimes pedestrians just run across at the wrong time, and sometimes the traffic, mainly two wheelers do not stop when they have to.  My wand would then do the needful to restrain both, unless the traffic police have switched off the signals, then all are entitled to do whatever they need to.

Travelling in the train, locally or out of Mumbai, when passengers are throwing trash out of the window, I would let a dustbin catch the thrash and follow the train with a drone.  And whatever garbage is along all the train tracks, I would turn into green grass and pretty flowers and tall trees with butterflies and birds and bees and monkeys.

When I see many vehicles parked outside any police station, blocking the walking space, my magical wand would help me to stack them over each other and clear the space in a jiffy.

It is very depressing to see minors begging or selling flowers or toys at traffic signals.  I would make a very palatial dormitory appear and house all of them into it, and of course take care of all their needs, bathing, clean clothes, education, food, a place to sleep.   The same for old and lonely beggars on the roads, would be housed in a special home, and be taken care of.

When vehicles zip past during the red signal, I should just point my wand to the license plate and the owner's name and address would be registered to the police directly.

Anyone who is sick, especially my family members, I would cure with a wave of my wand.  This I would need urgently too.

During the rain, I would have the latest invention of the Japanese, the drone umbrella, follow me.  I think I am allowed one or two selfish wishes too.

I would want a magical flying carpet, to take me to Australia and Spain and Florida and Canada.

And I would want a mini television set with all the possible channels, in my bag.  So while I have to wait at the bus stop for hours and hours, or sit in a cab in the traffic jam, I would watch the news etc.  No, I do not want a mobile, I want a TV, because I am a TV addict.





No comments:

Post a Comment