Thursday 14 April 2016

16 - MEE PANN MUMBAIKAR

What is perennial in Mumbai?   Let me list some of them.....the beggars, the potholes, the crowds, the spit ridden public places, the shameless public urination by males, the over crowded local trains, the irregular public bus service, the yellow-black taxis which often refuse to ply you, the illegal pavement shops,,,,,all negative aspects of my city that just cannot be sidelined.

But I have found a positive aspect among one of these.  Every morning, on my way to work,  my taxi passes the Mumbai central BEST bus depot.  One gate of this enclosure is always shut and outside this gate is a haven for garbage throwers.  Piles of black garbage bags, full to the hilt, form a little hillock every morning.  And this is where I redeem my faith in 'unity and friendship'.

Two black hens, one brown hen, a golden brown rooster, two black cats, five to seven rats and about fifteen crows,  meet here and are seen sharing the spoils discarded by humans.  Since there is sufficient garbage for all of them,  they are rummaging peacefully.  In their little world,  these creatures must also be commending the BEST for allowing their hillock to flourish daily.

I'm sure that I have missed spotting the others in this group, from my vantage point through my passing cab.   Since the dumped garbage is also surrounded with dirty, stagnant water,  flies and mosquitoes also must be enjoying the space. 

When I am returning home in the evening, the pile is smaller but the friends are still seen, going about their pecking,  oblivious to the traffic snarls on the nearby road.  Usually, a human child or two are seen in the pile at this time.

Mumbai is a city where people of different religions sometimes come together through workforce proximity but seldom live up to the friendship, giving in to the compulsions of family opposition, and weak characters.  But I am grateful to these friends,  to have let me see that at least one corner of Mumbai is peaceful and friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment